?

Log in

No account? Create an account
loufib

Cashew Lou's Yukon Annex

I've got Pop-Pop in the attic.

Previous Entry Share Next Entry
Advice Needed--Job Search Dilemma
loufib
cashewlou
It never rains, but it pours; I have had some developments take place very quickly over the past couple of days. So quickly, in fact, that I have a little bit of a quandary, and am seeking any advice and/or suggestions I can get. Here's how things stack up:

Option A: A recruiter contacted me on behalf of Company A, and after interviewing I have been given a job offer. I could be starting at Company A as soon as sometime next week, and they want my response to their offer by the end of the business day on Thursday (tomorrow). The work at Company A would be a one- to three-year contract, with no health benefits or paid time off--but decent enough pay.

Option B: I went to a two-and-a-half hour interview today at Company B. The gentleman who interviewed me, after I told him about my situation with Company A, told me he thought I did very well at the interview, and would like to pass me along to a second interview; unfortunately, that could not possibly take place until sometime next week. He told me he was only interviewing three candidates, and that only two would be moved forward to the next round of interviews. That makes my chances of landing this position at 50%. This would be a full-time, permanent direct-hire position, with excellent benefits and somewhat better pay.

Option C: I accept the position at Company A, yet clandestinely continue the interview process at Company B. Should Company B hire me, I give my notice at Company A and move on, having only worked there a very short period of time. This seems like an ethically sleazy option to me.

Option D: I do not accept the position at Company A, and take my chances with Company B. This seems the riskiest option, since there is also a 50% chance I will not get the position there.

I really would like the job at Company B, but Company A is a sure thing. Please, anyone out there, any suggestions or advice?

  • 1
I'd go with option C. Since you working for A, just to see if you can get job at company B, since it's 50%. Plus if you don't get job B. At least you'll still have a job, till something better comes up and you're still making money.

Yeah, it seems to be the sure thing, and it covers my ass either way.

Absolutely go with Option C. Honestly, they deal with this sort of thing all the time. The HR person's done a lot of interviews already with qualified people, you'll be doing one of those qualified people a favor, with very little inconvenience to HR.

It's part of the assumption that you're job-searching, and it's *possible* that something will turn up. Bailing on a new job is no big thing, at least until the training and stuff really kick in and they start investing in you. It's only a few days of extra inconvenience, and again, your SOLE responsibility is to yourself and your future income and happiness.

Basically, it's a big fat "who cares, this is your JOB, be 100% self-interested and selfish, and if you inconvenience someone in HR, they probably deserve it somehow. That's THEIR job." Do not worry about HR people.

This is the unanimous response so far. And you are right; I need to worry more about myself and less about the Dogberts out there.

EDIT: Should be Catberts. D'oh.

Edited at 2010-05-26 06:36 pm (UTC)

(Deleted comment)
Yeah, HR considered me expendable last August; that is why I am in this whole mess. And HR in this case isn't even someone I have even met face-to-face, or ever will, in all likelihood; Company A is all being handled by a recruiting and staffing company out in California.

Option C. That sort of thing happens all the time, I set up new users who end up accepting other jobs before thier start date. It's only a mild annoyance. Take care of yourself first!

Hee. I am detecting a pattern here. o(:o)

Oh, and congrats on the excellent news! *wagwagwag*

Thank you! If I am going to have a dilemma, this is the kind of one to have, right?

Option C. Take no chances!

Congrats =]

Agreed. And thank you! o(:o)

Try to negotiate with company A for extra time first, and see if they'll budge from that Thursday deadline. You don't have to say why, in fact I'd suggest avoiding mention of it, but just say you need more time to consider their offer.

If they won't budge, it is sleazy, but go with option C. Just be aware of the bridge you'd burn with company A if company B comes up to the plate.

I second Dr. Leo's advice. I'm not a fan of Option C, but business is rarely looking out for you.

My personal vote is see if you can get away with C because I'd try to get job B if you.

I can get away with Option C; there are numerous ways to sneak off to job interviews.

(Deleted comment)
Yeah, that is a question that I have been considering, too: would either business extend such consideration? The answer I come up with is: no, they would move on and find another candidate waiting in the wings. In this job market, that would take all of about ten seconds.

I'll cast my vote for Option C. You very much do NOT owe any employer any information about what other jobs you are seeking. It's not a "moral" thing, it's just business.

I have been honest and forthright with Company B; not so much with Company A. The latter is coming across as pushy and impatient.

If, down the road, I land the job at Company B, I can just tell Company A that this offer came out of the blue from a company I had interviewed with weeks ago, and I need to look out for my best interests blah blah blah.

  • 1